I think dehumidifiers are one of the most useful appliances in my house. I've used my dehumidifier to help keep my allergies at bay and to prevent mold from growing in the "problem" rooms of my house, like my bathroom. But, while talking to my neighbor, Jim, I realized just how important it is to take precaution when using this appliance.
Jim told me that while talking to his mother, Nancy, on the phone, she told him about a fire that took place in her hometown of Canton, Illinois, as a result of a malfunctioning dehumidifier. Apparently, Nancy was reading the paper one day when she came across the article in the Canton Daily Ledger.
Nancy told Jim that the fire occurred March 21 around one in the afternoon. I was so surprised to hear this, because I normally think of fires occurring early in the morning when people are asleep.
Nancy also told Jim that when the fire rescue team arrived to the single-family residence, the smoke was so thick that there was no visibility! I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must have been. Jim said that after looking around the house, the firefighters finally discovered that the cause of the fire – a malfunctioning dehumidifier – was located in the basement.
Jim told me that thankfully, there were no injuries. But, just hearing that story reinforced how dangerous everyday appliances can be – if you don't use them properly, of course. Jim's brother, who is an electrician, told me that one of the simplest ways to prevent fires like the one that took place in Canton is to check the condition of my dehumidifier frequently. He said it may be a good idea to replace the appliance if there are any wires exposed or other parts that are broken. idea to replace the appliance if there are any wires exposed or other parts that are broken.