A few nights ago, my family gathered at my house because my oldest son, John, told me that he and his wife, Sue, had some big news. When I heard this, I immediately began to panic, especially since John refused to disclose any type of information that would be shared with everyone during dinner.
Since I'm such a pessimist, crazy and negative thoughts began racing through my mind. Were John and Jan moving across the country? Was one of them suffering from a chronic and fatal illness? These are all things I thought of before my wife, Jan, told me I was ridiculous.
Finally, the day came for our family dinner. Jan made John's favorite dish, skirt steak and caesar salad. Everyone at the table was getting along great, but we all wanted to know what the big news was. Then, about 20 minutes into the meal, Sue announced that had and John were going to be parents! I can't tell you how thrilled my wife and my other two kids were. We had always hoped we would be grandparents.
That night, I couldn't sleep because I was so excited. I woke up and decided to do some research on how to create the safe nursery (God forbid anything happen to the baby). I came across an article on the internet that talked about how one household appliance could pose a potential danger to little ones: a warm-mist humidifier.
When I read this I was shocked, especially since my family has been using humidifiers for years. The article said that cool-mist humidifiers are much safer because those that shoot out warm-mist can cause burns and the screens can become very hot.
It was almost 4:00 a.m., but this article had me incredibly intrigued. I emailed John and Sue the article and told them to stay away from warm-mist humidifiers once the baby was born. I was feeling so generous that I even offered to buy them a cool-mist humidifier. They are such a nice couple that they thanked me and told me that all they wanted was for me to accompany them when they go to buy the appliance.