I've written a bit about electric heater safety in the past, and I wanted to touch on it again today in time for the holidays. I know things can get pretty hectic with gift shopping and all, but this shouldn't be an excuse to let standard household chores fall by the wayside. I may be starting this piece on a bit of a dour note, but it's in response to an article I read this morning.
On December 13, in Chattanooga, Tennessee, firefighters were dispatched to a house fire. According to the report from WRCB, a local NBC affiliate, no one was home when they arrived. While the firefighters were able to control the fire to a hallway, the house suffered from smoke and water damage. Now, the owners could be on the hook for $25,000 in renovations.
The culprit for the crime wasn't a neighborhood teenager, but a faulty electrical extension cord that was supporting an electric heater. As I mentioned in a previous post, manufacturers recommend that these devices be plugged directly into the wall, as many extension cords can't provide the power they need to operate.
As a result, you may want to take some time over the next week (in between all of the baking and shopping) to ensure your appliances are all plugged in and working correctly, especially if you're hosting. There's nothing worse than needing to replace a manual thermostat, and not finding out until it's too late to repair the problem.
And for those of you who use electric heaters to reduce your energy costs, remember, while repairing an electric heater is inevitable (after all, I use mine day-in and day-out), they still need periodic care and supervision.
No related posts.