Many of the readers I talk to on a daily basis have indicated that they intend to move away from the heavy use of air conditioners this summer, instead opting to invest in electric fans that can help augment these home cooling devices.
However, while these devices may be a low-cost investment that provides savings, homeowners need to take steps to ensure that their electric fans are working properly and that they don't need repair before they bring them out of storage.
One of the biggest reasons for this is safety. While some home fires are linked to electric heaters and other fluke incidents, a small percentage are the result of faulty electric fans. According to the Watford Observer, a U.K.-based news source, a local man was hospitalized this week due to a fire that started when his electric fan set his bedroom ablaze.
According to the report, the suffered injuries due to smoke inhalation, as he attempted to open the window in his room to escape the fire.
"We had two firefighters with breathing apparatus go in [and] deal with the fire with hose reels," watch commander Dave Elliott, the local fire official who responded to the incident, told the newspaper. "There were a few people in the house at the time but the smoke alarm went off and they managed to get out."
Due to this concern, homeowners who want to use these energy-saving tools this summer may be wise to ensure these devices are kept away from potentially flammable items. While they make look better tucked away in a corner of the room, most manuals recommend that these fans be given a certain space to operate that can help mitigate this safety risk.